Teeth Cleaning & Dental Checkups
There are many ways you can play an active role in maintaining your oral health. Our hygienists and dentists identify plaque and problem areas before thoroughly cleaning your teeth, providing you with information to sustain a happy, healthy smile.
Why is it important to have consistent teeth cleanings and checkups?
Routine checkups are an essential part of proper oral hygiene. Some of the benefits of regular teeth cleanings include:
- Healthier bones and gums.
- Prevention of gum disease.
- Early detection and treatment of cancer and other oral health conditions.
- Maintaining beautiful, healthy smiles.
What happens when we miss teeth cleanings?
Failure to keep your continuing care appointments can result in:
- An impaired ability to eat and digest foods, leading to nutritional and systemic problems.
- Bad breath, resulting from advancing periodontal disease and/or rotting food particles.
- Negative effects on cardiovascular well-being and overall health.
- Undiagnosed gum disease that is reversible if found early.
Proper Oral Hygiene: How to Prevent Tooth Decay
There are several simple and affordable ways in which you can fight tooth decay—a common chronic health condition.
- Brush twice and floss once daily.
- Have dental cleanings and checkups twice a year.
- Eat fewer sugary and acidic foods.
- Ask your dentist about additional cleaning supplements.
The Teeth Cleaning Procedure
When you come in for a cleaning, your dental hygienist identifies and removes plaque—a soft film that can be removed by brushing—and tartar—a hardened plaque that requires dental instruments for removal. We make every effort to clean all surfaces of your teeth, including the tiny spaces between your teeth and along gum-lines where bacteria gather.
We often complete the cleaning with prophy paste. Its coarse quality, which removes any remaining plaque and leaves the teeth shiny and smooth. We inform you of any areas where plaque and tartar build-up, so you can give those places extra attention by flossing and brushing each day. Our goal is to enable you to easily and effectively care for your teeth.